Settlement says Indiana AG must allow Abdul Hakim-Shabaj to appear in all future

Indianapolis--Journalist and Attorney Abdul Hakim-Shabaz has reached an agreement with Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita, stating that Shabaz has been allowed to attend future press conferences held by Rokita.

In October 2021, Shabaz was told that he was not allowed to enter Roquita’s press conference on RoboCalls because he was not a “certified media”. With the help of Indiana’s ACLU, Shabazz filed an informal and formal record request to find out what Rokita thought was “certified media,” but found nowhere. Last month, Shabaz filed a lawsuit in federal court. The settlement was reached on Monday morning.

The decision states that “the plaintiff will not be barred from future private press conferences held by the defendant and will be admitted in accordance with the terms used for other press or media.”

“It’s not just you, it’s a big win for all the media in Indiana. I shouldn’t have been banned by the Attorney General in the first place,” Shabaj said Monday morning.

Shabaj hopes that future elected leaders will remember this case and its consequences.

“It shows that elected officials cannot ban the media from an official press conference or an official news event,” Shabaj said.

In the past, Rokita has referred to Shabaz as a “gossip columnist who spreads confusion.” Shabaz said he had heard similar comments from others who disagreed.

“I will now argue that the court says otherwise. Now the attorney general has said something else, “said Shabaz.

Listen: Full interview of Abdul Hakim-Shabaz


Post Settlement says Indiana AG must allow Abdul Hakim-Shabaj to attend all future press conferences on 93.1FM WIBC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.