(Indianapolis) – Applications for the first round of crime prevention funding for groups around Indianapolis will open next week.
Indianapolis has had a violent-crime grant fund year after year, but last year’s epidemic relief bill allowed the city to quadruple the fund for the next three years. Indy will have 14 million a year to run organizations with ideas or programs to tackle the underlying causes of crime, from poverty to education, without calculating administrative costs.
Mayor Joe Hogsett announced plans for the grant last August as part of the City-County Council’s unanimously approved $ 150 million anti-crime package.
The Indianapolis Foundation will open a grant application next Friday, and will hold workshops to guide organizations through federal eligibility criteria and advise them on how to present their proposals. Applications must be completed by May 1, with the foundation planning to provide a 5.5 million grant by July. A second round of 8.5 million will be announced later this year.
Alicia Collins, director of the Community Leadership Foundation, said the grants are specifically focused on the neighborhood level. He said the most effective opposition programs take place where organizers have a direct knowledge of their community and its problems. And while the Foundation hopes to see new and innovative ideas, Collins says some effective programs could fly under the radar of city or state leaders because they’re locally organized, from mediation centers to neighborhood crime detection programs.
With the expansion, the name of the Violent Crime Reduction Grant is changing, to higher grants.
The post Applications for First Round of Neighborhood Crime Prevention Grant are open first on 93.1FM WIBC.